A quick guide regarding UK Student Visas

If you are a citizen of the European Union (or Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein) you will not need a student visa to come to the UK and study. If you are not a citizen of the EU, you will need entry clearance. In most cases, that means you will have to apply for a student visa.
A Student Visitor Visa will be sufficient for academic courses up to 6 months, or English courses up to 11 months. (Note: the 6 – 11 month visa is also known as an Extended Student Visitor Visa or ESVV). For longer courses, or if the student plans to extend his/her study time in the UK, he/she will need a Tier 4 Student Visa.
The requirements for obtaining a Student Visitor Visa are:

  • Documentary evidence must be provided to show that the student has been accepted onto a course of study by an education institution recognised by the UK Border Agency.
  • The course must be for no longer than 11 months for English Language courses or 6 months for Academic courses.

There are some restrictions on Student Visitor Visas:

  • The students will not be able to apply for more time in the UK, even to extend studies
  • The students will not be able to undertake any employment, even unpaid placements or internships as part of their study
  • The students will not be able to study at a government funded school.

Further details are available on the UK Border Agency web site at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk. The information provided here is for background reading only. The UK Border

Cavendish School of English Brochure


Dates and Fees

Dates and Fees

Scroll to Top